History of the Anton mine
Mining operations at the "Grube Anton" started back in 1770. From 1834 to 1850 the major finds were made: 740 kg silver 189487 kg cobalt ore In 1970 the abandoned mine "Anton" was chosen as future site for a geophysical observatory. From 1970-72 construction was under way for the mine and lab-building.
The costs of 0.75 million DM were covered by the Volkswagen (VW) Foundation.
Since 1972 the observatory is in operation.